America has an obsession with weight. Whether it is super models that weigh too little (eat a sandwich) or SUVs that weigh too much (get a bike) we spend more time than we'd like to admit thinking about weight. Bicycle riders think a lot about shedding weight from their bikes, spending huge piles of dough on ever lighter weight parts. This is a great idea up to a point. But when this year's lighter weight part is less durable than last year's model that's not a good idea.
I like those crazy long bike rides through the wilderness so I optimize my bike with parts that have a reputation for durability. I carry the tools and spare parts to repair accidental damage likely to occur to parts like tires, cables, and chains. As I was packing up some equipment for a bike ride I laid out all the stuff I'm taking and took photos of it. Then I wondered how much it weighed. Rather than weigh individual pieces, I packed the saddlebag with all the tools, safety reflective gear, and clothing I planned to take, along with a pump, two headlights, and a tail light. Total weight was 30 pounds, not too bad.
Then I grabbed a couple of other bikes for comparison. I weighed my blue bike, which is set up to be light and fast, and found that weighs 23 pounds. My green bike, a fixed gear that eliminates all the components needed for shifting and a whole lot of cogs, weighs 20 pounds.
It's a dumb comparison but it's what I did today. The minimum weight allowed for a racing bike is about 15 pounds. Pro racers have a team car following behind with a new bike when something breaks. So I think I'm doing pretty well. Some of the things I have customized my bikes with include 36 spoke handbuilt (by me) wheels, with strong, double eyelet rims; cushy 28 mm wide tires with flat resistant kevlar belts; and most important for me, a wide leather saddle to support my butt on a long ride. And as we learned in the latest Vintage Bicycle Quarterly, it's not the lightest bike that wins the race. It's the bike ridden by Miguel Indurain.
Friday, April 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment