Sunday, February 24, 2008

Straight Talk Express


After continuous disregard for the law by the Bush-Cheney regime, I expected that this year would be a model of good ethics from presidential candidates, even from Republicans. I guess not. John McCain broke the law he wrote, the McCain-Feingold campaign finance act, so he could take more money from his lobbyist buddies. How so? When his campaign was on the ropes and he was getting no donations, he agreed to accept public financing for his campaign. By accepting financing he was automatically and at no cost to him put on the ballot in all the states. At the same time other candidates who did not accept public financing had to spend millions of dollars to get their names on the various ballots. Now, in addition to being illegal, does it seem fair that McCain can now say, oh, I didn't mean that, I'm not taking public financing? How is that right? How that fair to Mitt and Huck and Rudy, who played by the rules and lost?


He wrote the law, then he broke the law. Can we say John McCain was for campaign finance reform before he was against it?

No comments: